Rico Wallenta was born on the 24th of August 1974 in Chemnitz, Germany. In February 1999 he completed his study in architecture in the University of Applied Science (HTWK) in Leipzig with the predicate "very good".
He started to involve in humanitarian activities while he was still studying architecture. At that time, the HTWK has a student project in collaboration with the University of Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina and the Technical University of Graz, Austria to design new apartment buildings in Sarajevo. After this project, he then developed his diploma thesis about reconstruction strategies in the divided city of Mostar, Bosnia & Herzegovina.
For the last 12 years he has been working in the development sector, especially in reconstruction post disasters and crises as an architect, consultant, project/programme coordinator and head of mission in worldwide humanitarian projects. He is also a member of various associations and networks such as archnetinternational.org (consultants, architects and engineers for sustainable reconstruction aid), TRIALOG (Association for Scientific Research into Planning and Building in the Developing World), Médecins Sans Frontières - Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V., katastrophennetz.de (disaster network - between science and practice) and RedR UK (International charity that provides training and recruitment services for the humanitarian sector, improving emergency response worldwide).
- Construction specialist with extensive experience in design, supervision and monitoring of large number of small and medium scale building construction in remote areas: shelter, housing, medical facilities (clinics, hospitals) and educational buildings (schools, kindergartens),
- Strong experience in projects delivering infrastructure services emphasizing community participation approaches and empowerment of local partners.
- Specific knowledge in management, implementation, evaluation, quality control, team leading and coordination of reconstruction projects and programme in the tsunami, earthquake and cyclone prone areas.
- Extensive experience in construction of rural water facilities and design and implementation of gravity feed water systems
- Experience in design and implementation of small scale constructions using locally available techniques and materials.
- Some experience in rural development including construction of feeder roads, bridge, solar energy supply, spillways, water conservation etc.
- Deep experience in coordinating strategies of different donors and grants including BMZ, ADH, ECHO, USAID, European Commission and private funds
- Capability in Monitoring, Quality control and Evaluation
- Proficiency as facilitator for capacity building and participatory programme
For the detailed curriculum vitae and portfolio, please send your request by visiting the contacts page.